[lit-ideas] Re: Yay!

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:17:40 -0700

It should be fun. As the saying goes, a Glasgow funeral is more fun than an Edinburgh wedding. But be warned that the caricature of Glaswegians as a violent lot when drunk, has more than an ounce of truth in it.
You know how Glaswegians go salmon fishing? They wade out into the stream and head butt the salmon as they leap from the water. It's called the "Glasgow kiss."

Sights and sites of note? You could visit West Kilbride, where my great uncle lived on his own until he was 94, or Dumbarton, where my great grandfather was headmaster of the school, or Partick, where my other great grandfather was Inspector of Lighting. Or you could go somewhere interesting.

Andreas is right. If you have time and transport, take the road to Loch Lomond--you'll want the high road; the low road is for dead folk-- visit the car factory that's been turned into an outlet mall (fabulous architecture...really), head by Glencoe to Oban, take a ferry somewhere in the Western Isles. If you can't manage such a trip...head towards Easdale and find the police station my great grandfather bought when he retired.

It's all about me.. and the summer light?

Be prepared for midges.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon