[lit-ideas] Yale for Taliban / Death for X-tian Convert

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:02:06 -0500

[Rod Serling Voice:] Held up for your examination: Yale University recently gave a Taliban spokesman a full scholarship, while back in Afghanistan, a man who converted to Christianity faces the death penalty.

(For those who haven't hit their irony threshold, the Islamic judge deliberating on the death penalty for Christian conversion said something to the effect that, "Islam is a religion of peace, so we will allow him to change his mind." And if he doesn't, then they'll kill him, just to show how peaceful.)

http://www.arbiteronline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/03/20/441e20dae39b2
Yale chooses the Taliban over ROTC
BY JONATHAN SAWMILLER
March 20, 2006

<snip>

Last fall, while the American military that was denied access to Yale and were off fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan, Yale University was busy celebrating the arrival of their newest student, Sayed Rahmatullah Hashemi, the former Deputy Foreign Secretary of the Taliban. He was admitted into a non-degree program, with a chance to gain full degree-seeking status in 2006. “In some ways I’m the luckiest person in the world,” Hashemi told the New York Times on February 26.

<snip>

Of course, it doesn’t matter that Hashemi only has a fourth-grade education, never took the SATs and is totally academically unfit to attend any college, let alone an elite institution like Yale which only accepts ten percent of applicants.

Why?

Apparently, Hashemi was too good of a catch for Yale to let him get away. According to the New York Times, Yale had “another foreigner of Hashemi’s caliber apply for special-student status.” Said former Dean of Admissions Richard Shaw, “We lost him to Harvard. I don’t want that to happen again.”

Who could that have been? One of Slobodan Milosevich’s ethnic cleansers? Maybe a lieutenant of Bin Laden’s? Perhaps a protégé of Idi Amin?

Shaw gushed that his admissions interview with Hashemi “was one of the most interesting I’ve ever had,” and told the Times, “This is a person to be reckoned with and who could educate us about the world.”

Isn’t that awesome? The spokesman for the Taliban is here to educate America about how we need to cut off the fingers of women who wear nail polish, encourage husbands to beat their wives and publicly torture and murder homosexuals, all with the help and support of Yale University.

---------------------
http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/164194.php

Yale Taliban Praises bin Laden

Clinton Taylor at Townhall quoting Yale student Sayeed Rahmatullah Hashemi in his former official capacity as front-man for the Taliban:

"So for the Afghans, he is a good guy. If we were to hand this good guy to the U.S., what kind of justification will we give to our people?"

But maybe the Yale Taliban was just some low-level operative who joined the ranks for personal promotion?

Apparently he had impressed the mullahs with his footwork in America, because soon after he returned, Mr. Rahmatullah went to work as a personal adviser to Mullah Omar.....

When UPI’s Arnaud de Borchgrave interviewed Mullah Omar in June 2001, Mr. Rahmatullah did all the talking. Where Mullah Omar comes off as the strong, silent type in the interview, Mr. Rahmatullah emerges as the idea man, the big picture guy, the strategist with both eyes open, Mullah Omar having lost one of his fighting the Soviets.

MEANWHILE BACK IN AFGHANISTAN:

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2006/03/international-brief-afghan-citizen.php

International brief ~ Afghan citizen faces death penalty for converting to Christianity

[JURIST] Leading Monday's international brief, an Afghani man is on trial for criminal charges punishable by death related to his conversion from Islam to Christianity over 16 years ago while working for a Christian aid organization in Pakistan.