[lit-ideas] Writing

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 12:05:11 -0500

As random quotes go, this is pretty great..

"I fancy much of what I value myself upon in writing, escapes the
observation of the great mass of my readers, who are intent more upon the
story than the way in which it is told. For my part, I consider a story
merely as a frame on which to stretch my materials. It is the play of
thought, and sentiment, and language; the weaving in of characters lightly,
yet expressively, delineated; the familiar and faithful exhibition of scenes
in common life; and the half-concealed vein of humor that is often playing
through the whole;--these are among what I aim at." —Washington Irving

Julie Krueger