[lit-ideas] Wormholes and Lewis Carroll - Addendum

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:55:09 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Sorry, I should have pasted the entire excerpt.  Out of context that pragra=
ph made no sense.  The excerpt follows:

http://www.greatmystery.org/interviewmk.html

Marshall:  Next I want to jump into Lewis Carroll and Alice in Wonderland. =
 You use that work to  introduce the concept of wormholes.  Can you tell us=
 a little bit about that story, its author and the nature of stories, thems=
elves, as vehicles for a more complete understanding of the world we inhabi=
t?  Maybe you can start off this way =96 how are stories crafted?  Are stor=
ies math?  Is there a certain mathematical principle to stories in a sense =
that they discharge a formula for us in a way that may be more acceptable t=
o the human mind, which is allegorical in its construct?=20

Kaku:  When people look at mathematics and they look at stories, Hollywood =
stories.  They  say, =93Well gee, Hollywood stories are entertaining, they =
are interesting, they show me something about human nature and mathematics =
is really too bizarre.=94  However that=92s not really the way that the uni=
verse is constructed.  I am a physicist and we believe that the universe pr=
oceeds according to principles =96 just a handful of principles. =20

The relativity principle, the quantum principle and that=92s it. =20

The universe evolves through principles, through pictures.  Einstein looked=
 at the universe through pictures, not through the world of mathematics.  M=
athematics is book-keeping in some sense.  It allows us to keep track of th=
e picture.  For example, take a bed sheet.  Rumple the bed sheet.  An ant w=
alking along that rumpled bed sheet would say, =93I am tugged by a force =
=96 I=92ll call it gravity.  There=92s a star here tugging me, there=92s a =
planet there tugging me.=94  Well we look at the ant from hyperspace and we=
 laugh and we say that=92s silly.  There is no gravity at all.  You are bei=
ng buffeted by the curvature of space itself. =20

Now, the mathematics of a curved bed sheet is pretty, pretty mean.  You wou=
ld have to have what is called tensor calculus to be able to describe the c=
urvature of a bed sheet.  But the concept is simple.  It is nothing but ant=
s walking on a bed sheet.  So, in other words, the human mind in some sense=
 can grasp some of the deepest understanding of nature  - among them, wormh=
oles.  Now when we think about wormholes, we think about science fiction an=
d Star Trek and stuff.  But that is not where the concept of wormholes was =
first introduced.  It was first introduced about 150 years ago in Oxford, E=
ngland. There was a young professor of higher mathematics at Oxford who kne=
w about what are called multiply connected spaces.  Think of two sheets of =
paper that are joined at the hip like two Siamese twins.  That=92s a wormho=
le.  Take a sheet of paper and bend it.  Fold it in half.  Fold it in the t=
hird dimension.  Fold the sheet of paper in hyperspace.  That=92s called a =
wormhole. Well these are called multiply connected spaces by mathematicians=
 and Charles Dodgson, a professor of mathematics, wanted to write a childre=
n=92s book that conveyed these things because adults, of course, could not =
understand or even want to understand a multiply connected space.  So he cr=
eated Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. =20

Well, today we have discovered black holes in outer space - perhaps candida=
tes for Wonderland.  At the center of a black hole, we used to think there =
was a dot and anyone falling into the dot would die and therefore there=92s=
 no point talking about the Einstein-Rosen Bridge which may take you to the=
 other side of a black hole.  Einstein himself worked out the Einstein-Rose=
n Bridge =96 a bridge connecting two parallel universes.  But he thought no=
 one would ever make the journey to the other side of forever.  We now are =
not so sure.  In 1963, mathematician Rory Curr showed that black holes do n=
ot necessarily collapse to a dot.  You don=92t necessarily die.  They colla=
pse to rings =96 rings of fire, rings of neutrons - such that anyone fallin=
g through the ring might fall through to the other side of forever.  So jus=
t think about that.  The looking glass of Alice - the rim, the frame, the o=
uter rim of Alice=92s looking glass - that=92s the black hole.  In fact, ju=
st this month, NASA announced beautiful photographs of a spinning black hol=
e.  We now know that most black holes spin rapidly at about a million miles=
 an hour, sufficient enough to create a ring of neutrons.  Anyone falling t=
hrough that ring may wind up on the other side of forever.  Now of course, =
this is just a theory.  We have never done this before. We have never shot =
a space probe through a black hole.  It would take many centuries before we=
 could attempt such a feat.  However, the mathematics is clear.  Einstein=
=92s equations show that there could be a wormhole on the other side of the=
 black hole.  The only question is stability.  We physicists are not sure w=
hether they are stable or not - whether you can successfully make a trip to=
 the other side of the universe.=20