[lit-ideas] Re: Words.2

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:44:10 -0800

I wrote:

Well, 'cross-section' IS hyphenated, but a hyphen indicates two words joined. If JL or Bev Hogue or one of those experts were around we'd have a righteous ruling.

Ah, this may be it.

'Nevertheless, we have encountered curious forms such as crosssection, and the complete Oxford English Dictionary does contain instances of frillless, bossship, countessship, duchessship, governessship, and princessship, and the county name Rossshire.'

Steve is 3 out of 3. Good work.

Robert Paul