[lit-ideas] Word-and-thought-defying banality of Evil

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:02:18 -0700

No, no.  It wasn?t a rhetorical question.  It was quite genuine  ? well
maybe not genuine in the sense of expecting an answer but genuine in the
sense of questioning Hannah Arendt whom I take to be suggesting the idea.
She doesn?t however do it as a philosophical precept but as an observation
about Eichmann with perhaps an implied wider application to people of this
sort and this sort of evil in general, and I can?t say that I?ve completely
grasped her meaning yet.  Here is the way she describes Eichmann?s death:

Page 252:  ?Adolf Eichmann went to the gallows with great dignity.  He had
asked for a bottle of red wine and had drunk half of it.  He refused the
help of the Protestant minister, the Reverend William Hull, who offered to
read the Bible with him: he had only two more hours to live, and therefore
no ?time to waste.?  He walked the fifty yards from his cell to the
execution chamber calm and erect, with his hands bound behind him.  When the
guards tied his ankles and knees, he asked them to loosen the bonds so that
he could stand straight.  ?I don?t need that,? he said when the black hood
was offered him.  He was in complete command of himself, nay, he was more:
he was completely himself.  Nothing could have demonstrated this more
convincingly than the grotesque silliness of his last words.  He began by
stating emphatically that he was a Gottglaubiger, to express in common Nazi
fashion that he was no Christian and did not believe in life after death.
He then proceeded: ?After a short while, gentlemen, we shall all meet again.
Such is the fate of all men.  Long life Germany, long live Argentina, long
live Austria.  I shall not forget them.?  In the face of death, he had found
the cliché used in funeral oratory.  Under the gallows, his memory played
him the last trick; he was ?elated? and he forgot that this was his own
funeral.

?It was as though in those last minutes he was summing up the lesson that
this long course in human wickedness had taught us ? the lesson of the
fearsome, word-and-thought-defying banality of evil.?

I take her to be saying that the conducting of such evil, this crime against
humanity (the new crime described at Nuremburg) could not have occurred
without people who functioned on this banal, cliché-ridden level.    She
describes the difficulty of perpetrating this crime when confronted by
defiance.  The Nazis had neither the manpower nor the will to send Jews to
the gas chambers when confronted by defiance.  She has several examples of
this.  Defiance in Germany itself wouldn?t have eliminated the death of
German Jews but it would have reduced the number of deaths.   So not only
are the perpetrators of the evil banal, so cooperate in their murder.

Lawrence