[lit-ideas] Wolves in Sheep's Clothing

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:32:22 -0500

Maybe that should have been sheep in wolf's clothing....
What's inside...what's outside...

http://www.populistamerica.com/godless_in_union_square

Two little excerpts: As a Pakistani ISI agent with longstanding ties to America told me in Islamabad:

"I believe that great nations have a resonance. They emit power and integrity and everyone else can see that about them. This is how America used to be. But now - there is this Latin term, argumentum ad baculum, which basically means violence as a form of argument; that everyone should do as you say or they will be punished with force. Well, that is a fallacious argument. And we know that as soon as a country has to use force in order to get others to comply with its will, it has already lost. And this is what has happened to America. But what is worse is that the liberal side has allowed it. They have bought into the argument as well."

Of course, not all of the liberal Boomers have abandoned their principles. But among those that have turned the corner and backed the U.S. bombing of Yugoslavia, the first Gulf War, and post-9/11 invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq are some of the most eloquent and influential liberals in the country. /Wolves in Sheep's Clothing <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932857427/104-9744830-7110365?ie=UTF8&tag=populistparty-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1932857427> /is a journey into the heart of the ideological retreat of that generation. It is a quest to discover what drives people to abandon their youthful anti-militarism and sanction the kind of warfare that ultimately destroys and destabilizes entire communities. I hope you enjoy it.