[lit-ideas] Re: Woden's Day Poem, for Steve Chilson perhaps

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:57:50 -0800

when now
and isn't that a strange combination
when now
i enter a house
after stephen's and my mothers estates have been settled
and that word combination bothers me
as if the two people were somehow equal beings in my life
friend and mother
but anyway
when now
i enter a house
instead of seeing what some see
furniture and decor and books and signs
bottles and dishes and pots and pans
what exactly is the difference between these two
i mean where does pan leave off and
pot begin
so anyway
when i enter in
what i find myself asking is
how long would it take to clear this lot up
not an enviable question

so when last week i re-entered my father's house for the first time since the funeral
i looked about for what was once
and what wasn't now there

we siblings cleaned a whole lot out after the funeral
but the man still has to live
still has to cook
and clean and wash his clothes
one would have thought

for the life of me i couldn't find
the cast iron pan
i wanted for his steak

i recall my mother buying it
i think
and since this was to be such a memorable meal
my wife's birthday dinner supposedly
but actually a feast of some other and quite personal import for him
i really wanted that heat

the fallback plan was to use all
aluminium clad pots
to begin with avocado pear and shrimp as he instructed
to finish with christmas puddings from marks and sparks and cream

meanwhile champagne

which all worked out well enough
in the end
which is