[lit-ideas] Re: Wittgenstein's Punch Line

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:28:13 +0000 (GMT)

Even the very early Wittgenstein might also be thought to show a sense of
humour, even though this is obscured in the accounts handed down to us.

The Russell story about whether W was tormented in thought by "logic" or his
"sins" - "Both" replied W - might easily be thought that of a humourless
person; but brevity is the soul of wit and someone truly humourless about their
mental torment might not express themselves with such directness and
punchiness. It is possible to combine utmost seriousness with a sense of
humour, and this is usually reflected in one's expression, as in life as in art.

The question is open as to how well people like Russell understood Wittgenstein
as a person: their were facets of Wittgenstein's personality that were perhaps
so alien to Russell that they produced a reaction of wry amusement - so the
Wittgenstein of Russell's imagining is the archetypal 'weird tormented
"genius"' and not the flesh-and-blood W who must have been. In the above story,
Russell may not have appreciated that "logic" and "sins" were firmly linked in
Wittgenstein's mind - for there was a kind of (ethical) purity of mind needed
to tackle "logic" just as to tackle one's sins (a Catholic - and W was from a
Jewish-Catholic background - could appreciate this perhaps in a way a WASP,
particularly an irreligious one like Russell, could not).

People like Russell OTOH, and the tendency to idolise Wittgenstein OTOH, may
have conspired to blind us to the Wittgenstein with a sense of humour. I mean:
almost everyone has a sense of humour of some sort.

It is an unusual person, by Oxbridge standards anyway, who gives away their
vast wealth as an act of 'purification' - so that they are not corrupted by
their wealth; and even more unusual by those standards that they give not to
charity or the poor but to their rich relatives, on the basis that the money
might corrupt others lacking money but could not corrupt those who already had
money. Yet I think I can understand the POV from which this is an intelligent,
serious moral choice and not merely an amusing one: conversely we should not
perhaps blind ourselves to a kind of wit in Wittgenstein's expression even when
he is being utterly serious.

Dnl

Btw, WTF were W and R doing up at 3 in the morning? They weren't students
anymore.

On Friday, 21 February 2014, 11:50, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx> wrote:

I thought the following was funny: something like: "We're not crazy, we're just
doing philosophy."

And "Moore knows nothing!", replying to Moore's hand-waving as part of his proof
of an external world (and to other stuff).

Cheers, Walter