[lit-ideas] Re: Wittgenstein on depth grammar

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 02:27:09 +0200

Nah, syntax hasn't much to do with logic. Whether I put the subject before
the verb, or after it, and what I do with the propositional phrase, is a
private matter.

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 2:04 AM, Redacted sender Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx for
DMARC <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a message dated 5/14/2015 7:05:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
group where there is some philosophical discussion - not too profound.

The idea of 'profound' is interesting. It is a Latinism. The correlative
Anglo-Saxonism is "deep". Witters (or Ludwig Wittgenstein if you mustn't)
would find Chomsky's distinction between surface and deep grammar (the
deep-surface distinction) not too profound philosophically, but then
Chomsky never
said he was a philosoopher.

O. T. O. H., by depth grammar, Wittgensteinians mean 'logical form'; only
it sounds better.

This philosopher I live prefers the shallow berths of the seas of lingo,
though!

Cheers,

Speranza