[lit-ideas] Wittgenstein on Colour (Was: The Blue Book)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:28:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/19/2004 10:21:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The belief that there is comes from thinking that there
must be a substance answering to every substantive. That this diagnosis can be
found in [Wittgenstein's] Blue Book (p. 1) should come as no surprise.
----
Okay. I don't get it.

He says "objects are colourless" and titles his book, "The Blue Book".

Or is this an editorial addition to a poshumous book?

If we allow Wittgenstein this inconsistency, then indeed we have McEvoy's
Reductio Ad Absurdum:

          objects are colourless.
          Wittgenstein wrote "The Blue Book"
          Wittgenstein didn't write an object.