[lit-ideas] Wittgenstein and the Metaphysics of Experience

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:23:57 +0000 (GMT)

Back in the day, I used the expression "metaphysics of experience" to describe
what W was getting at when saying "Death is not an event in life" etc. (Or so I
recall; only the owlish, as Root noted, have time or need to check past posts
unless someone else points out they are misquoting).

There were murmurs of dissent. A pall of disquiet spread like petrol on a
forecourt of alarm.

Well, lookee here:

http://www.amazon.com/Insight-Illusion-Wittgenstein-Philosophy-Metaphysics/dp/0195198239/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257768157&sr=1-2

with W on the very same in the subtitle.

Though Dr.Hacker of St.John's may have moved on from this position (how far I
cannot say) he may be counted as a fellow-traveller given the use of the
expression "metaphysics of experience"; though a perusal of his tome fails to
disclose whether he would use the expression apropos the "Death is not an
event.." insight (or apercu, as I put it), while that perusal yet having an
immediate and alarming but hopefully transitory impact on my prose-style, he
does seem to take the "metaphysics of experience" as central to W's work
generally, albeit to be approached by considerations drawn from the philosophy
of language so-called.

Donal