[lit-ideas] Re: Wind Farms

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:17:05 -0600

PS:
>> I mean, if a butterfly's wings flapping can cause that much consternation,
>> think of what taking all that power out of the wind will do. Why... I wonder
>> whether all the wind farmers have thought about the repercussions of taking
>> gigawatts of power out of the wind. we won't be able to fly kites anymore.
>> Maybe it'll counteract 'global warming'. In the future, NO HURRICANES, cause
>> we're literally stealing their thunder. <<

I want to commend Paul for his brilliant insight.  I've not seen this possible
consequence of wind farming discussed before.  Unfortunately Paul's inherent
optimism blinds him to the more likely consequence -- glaciation.  As Paul
pointed out by pulling those gigawatts of power from the wind we're lessening
their energy level.  While one effect of diminishing the energy in the wind
will almost certainly be greatly weakened hurricanes, it will also cause much
colder winds -- heat, after all, is nothing but energy.  I expect glaciation to
move quickly down from cursed Canada and engulf the planet for a billion years.
 Alas and alack.  O woe is me.

But wait!  Maybe we could fill the Gulf of Mexico with wind generators, ones
that won't turn until a wind reaches 75 mph -- that way we can suck the energy
right out of a hurricane and only a hurricane, and what with global warming and
all there'll be plenty of hurricanes to light up the world.  It's like using
global warming to our benefit.  Bring on the SUV's.  Thank you, Paul.

Mike Geary
always the optimist
in Memphis