[lit-ideas] Re: Will Britain accept Sharia Law?

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:24:33 -0400

Judy:The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that
both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.

Judy, do you happen to know, or have ever heard, about women being threatened
into agreement  to any of this, such as in divorce or custody issues?

The reason I ask is because I know of a second generation Muslim woman (my
friend) who got married in a mosque without a state marriage license which is
required.  She couldn't get a divorce without her husband agreeing.  She won't
tell me but I think she paid him to obtain consent.
The person giving the divorce is the imam.

I can't imagine a Catholic, Protestant or Jewish clergy person officiating at a
marriage without a state license.  It's required.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI
          From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Subject: [lit-ideas] Will Britain accept Sharia Law?