[lit-ideas] Re: Why us?

  • From: Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:45:18 -0400

Robert: I'm too slow this morning (or is it afternoon?) to see the relevance of this to the distinction Eric tried to make in his thought experiment.

I'm vaguely reminded of a Bill Cosby riff about the (American) Revolutionary War, in which the British had to wear red coats and march in straight lines and the settlers got to wear old clothes and hide behind rocks and trees.

____

Eric: Did George Washington's Continental Army ever deliberately kill innocent Colonists during the American Revolutionary War?

If the insurgents merely wore street clothes and faced US and Iraqi troops, that would be comparable.

Also, if Washington (or his subalterns) engaged in wholesale slaughter of civilian Colonists to discourage George III's efforts, that might be comparable.