[lit-ideas] Re: Why us?

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 16:24:12 +0100 (BST)

>Leaving Iraq immediately would spare lots of money and troops, but
>probably cause many more Iraqi deaths and give the terrorists greater
>incentive, especially if the terrorists believed that their actions,
>rather than US internal political mood, had effected the ouster.

and that is -- for opponents of the war, well, for opponents of my persuasion
-- the hellish thing; but as The Guardian reported the day before the bombing,
and as has been confirmed today, the US and UK are in large part getting out
("were"?!); UK troops are moving to Afghanistan,  US troops going home (for
economic reasons).

Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
RP: Pointing to Bush's failings serves no useful purpose.

JM: What would count as a "useful purpose"? As a political activist, I
find it useful in several ways, keeping supporters whipped up, damaging
the reputation of the "at best deluded and incompetent and at worst
malign" leader of our opposition, etc.

Eric: To confine the point successfully is to confine the definition of
"usefulness."

I propose that "useful" refer to (1) reducing terrorism or (2) improving
the state of affairs in Iraq or even the greater Middle East.

Sure, Bush-bashing is useful to those of us who would prefer the GOP
ousted. However, it has no positive effect on the two terms above, does it?

Impeaching Bush and electing a total cut-and-run US President wouldn't
help. Leaving Iraq immediately would spare lots of money and troops, but