[lit-ideas] Re: Why us?

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:42:54 -0400

William Ball;"
I say respectfully, Veronica, I know, but did they come with car bombs
and bullets? Meant for men, women and children? Were they attending a
conference in Scotland at the same time planning to alleviate the
suffering of a whole continent, much of whom were people of the same
group who would kill them if they had the chance? Is Mother Theresa and
her group one of those awful missionaries we're discussing"

Re the missionaries, yes, they came with guns.  Mother Teresa didn't need
to and most certainly wouldn't have wanted to come with guns.  But India
had already been pacified by the English who conquered them.
Then they actually did become a democracy.  Hopefully, this will happen
again in Iraq.  Please understand, I am not making excuses for car bombers,
subway bombers, people who fly planes into buildings, etc.  The point is to
understand.  Until we do that, I don't expect a lot of peace for them or us
anytime in the near future.  I think perhaps this understanding is coming
to Washington. I certainly hope so.

Veronica