[lit-ideas] Re: Why us?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:45:46 -0400

 Comparing these styles of battle is pointless.  We may as well lament that
armies don't wear red coats and line up in formation to fire.  Wellington
and Napoleon fought as grizzly and brutal wars as it's possible to fight.
If I recall correctly, Napoleon's troops were even encouraged in rape,
murder and pillage of civilians.  The reason was so that Napoleon's
reputation would precede him and give his army a psychological edge. In our
own Civil War, Washington's country, brother killed brother.  Likewise the
U.S. killed civilians galore in WWII.  Nice guys in war finish last.  The
brutality aspect hasn't changed much except that the numbers have grown
exponentially larger.

Andy Amago