[lit-ideas] Re: Why us?

  • From: John McCreery <mccreery@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 12:44:15 +0900

On 2005/07/10, at 12:25, Robert Paul wrote:

Pointing
to Bush's failings serves no useful purpose.

What would count as a "useful purpose"?

As a political activist, I find it useful in several ways, keeping supporters whipped up, damaging the reputation of the "at best deluded and incompetent and at worst malign" leader of our opposition, etc. In an Aristotlean vein, I might argue that attacking the character of the opposition is to usefully deploy the third of the classic rhetorical tools.

Just curious.

John McCreery