[lit-ideas] Why us?

  • From: "William Ball" <ballnw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit Ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 09:08:07 -0400

Some of us wonder why Islamic extremists should want to obliterate us.
I admit I did, until I came across a statement that seems to make some
sense. I was on the wrong track wondering what there might be about us
("us" here is we Western types, Americans, British, or others, like
Buddhists, or Shinto,  or Sun Worshippers,  etc.) was so terrible in
their eyes. It stated that the Muslim extremists do not hate us because
of what we are or do, they hate us for what we are not, or don't do,
that is, we are not  Moslems. Is that the epitome of prejudice, or
intolerance, or whatever?

The solution? Let's all become Unitarian Universalists,  like me. I
don't believe in anything except the universal question mark. Wouldn't
be
found dead in a place of worship for fear I'd be offending somebody's
sensibilities. Wouldn't be distinguishable from anyone else on the
planet.
In short, I'd be nothing worth mentioning.

Besides, I'd be smug enough to know that my U.U. god can lick any god,
God, or gods out there.

Anyone for chess?

Bill Ball