[lit-ideas] Re: Why are the greatest composers all German?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 21:43:52 EDT

I wonder if anyone here is familiar with Osvaldo Golijov?

_http://www.osvaldogolijov.com/_ (http://www.osvaldogolijov.com/)

National Public Radio featured La PasiÃn segÃn San Marcos on All  Things
Considered. To listen, visit the _NPR website_
(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1147976)

" Argentine composer Osvaldo Golijov has written a Latin American  Passion,
according to Saint Mark. The Passion tells the story of Christ's  betrayal,
death, and ressurection; perhaps the best-known Passions are those by  Johann
Sebastian Bach. Our music critic Tom Manoff says Golijov's achievement is
remarkable, a musical drama set in a New World for a new time. It's a mixture
of
traditions -- Spanish, Latin, and Aramaic words are set to a music that draws
on
 Latin American folk music, African drumming, flamenco and Gregorian-like
chant  melodies."

_http://www.osvaldogolijov.com/wd1n.htm_
(http://www.osvaldogolijov.com/wd1n.htm)

<<David: What is the instrumentation of the  Passion?

Osvaldo: The instrumentation is mainly voices and  percussion. There is a
very strong tradition that news or stories are told by  voices and drums in
Cuba
and Bahia, Brazil, the Latin geographical centers of my  Passion. This musical
tradition comes from Africa, you knowâand that's how this  Passion is being
toldâmainly by voices and drums. The voices represent the  people who don't
understand, who are in fear, and Jesus himself who understands  but also fears
and then doesn't fear. There is a male soloist, a female soloist,  and a choir.
I am using these voices because, unlike Bach's Passions, in my  piece there is
no identification between the male soloist and the Evangelist who  always has
the most lines. Jesus has relatively few lines in the Passionsâso  Jesus in
Bach is always a bass with a halo of strings and the Evangelist is the  tenor
voice. In this Passion I thought that most of the time the voice of Jesus
would be the choir because for me Jesus represents the people, transformed into
collective spirit. At other times his voice will be the male soloist and
sometimes the female soloist. I have sections where there are three
choirsâthey
divide themselves into threeâbecause a lot of my piece has to do with
processionals. I imagine choirs from three villages proceeding down from the
tops of
the mountainsâthis is based on a South American Easter tradition. There  are
some sections that are divided into two choirs, especially when one
represents Jesus and the other the people, or the mob, and then there will be
sections
when they are just one. >>

I heard the piece on NPR and immediately ordered the CD.  The music is  all
over the place.  Some tracks are primitive-sounding heavily drummed  Latin
American bits; some tracks are amazingly lyrical arias....he brings a  wide
variety of various cultures' "pop" musical influence and a wide  variety of
classical influence.  It's an extraordinary CD.

At least give the NPR piece a listen!

Julie Krueger