[lit-ideas] Re: Why are the greatest composers all German?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:14:17 EDT

Very cool site -- and, like the web in general, rather overwhelming.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Why are the
greatest composers all  German?  Date: 6/15/06 10:42:39 A.M. Central Daylight
Time
From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
You're talking about classical music. The Beatles,  Dylan, Elvis, and
Television are 30 or 40
years ago. Radiohead is the only  recent band, and even that is from the late
80s, namely,
almost 20 years  ago.

Practically nothing in American music from the entire 90s and the  00s (or
whatever we still
don't call this decade) is worthwhile. Britney  Speares?

A number of people have pointed out that in the 50s, 60s, and  70s, bright
creative people
went into cultural areas: music, painting,  literature, and the arts. In the
90s, bright
creative people went into  computer science, computer engineering, and
business school.

If you had  three buddies in the 60s, you started a band. If you have three
buddies in 2006,
you start a computer company.

And the same for Beethoven and the  German Romantics. If you were a creative
person in the
1770s, you'd be  Sturmy und Drangy, with long poems and so on.

The major cultural event of  the last ten years has been the web: the vast
production of
text, images,  and video. There is a staggering amount of vernacular content
being produced
today; MySpace.com's computers serve over one billion images per day now. At
YouTube.com,
over 35,000 videos are uploaded daily. Nearly none of this is  by the
"authorities", i.e.,
the graduates of art schools, the newspapers,  magazines, or TV.

Try www.StumbleUpon.com. Select Arts, Fine Arts,  Graphic Design, Painting,
Photography. Look
at some of those sites. They're  a very creative use of the  medium.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com