[lit-ideas] Re: Why are the greatest composers all German?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:24:49 -0700

You're talking about classical music. The Beatles, Dylan, Elvis, and Television are 30 or 40 years ago. Radiohead is the only recent band, and even that is from the late 80s, namely, almost 20 years ago.

Practically nothing in American music from the entire 90s and the 00s (or whatever we still don't call this decade) is worthwhile. Britney Speares?

A number of people have pointed out that in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, bright creative people went into cultural areas: music, painting, literature, and the arts. In the 90s, bright creative people went into computer science, computer engineering, and business school.

If you had three buddies in the 60s, you started a band. If you have three buddies in 2006, you start a computer company.

And the same for Beethoven and the German Romantics. If you were a creative person in the 1770s, you'd be Sturmy und Drangy, with long poems and so on.

The major cultural event of the last ten years has been the web: the vast production of text, images, and video. There is a staggering amount of vernacular content being produced today; MySpace.com's computers serve over one billion images per day now. At YouTube.com, over 35,000 videos are uploaded daily. Nearly none of this is by the "authorities", i.e., the graduates of art schools, the newspapers, magazines, or TV.

Try www.StumbleUpon.com. Select Arts, Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Painting, Photography. Look at some of those sites. They're a very creative use of the medium.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com