[lit-ideas] Re: Why are the greatest composers all German?

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:35:57 +0100 (BST)

>I haven't heard anything
> close to Rammstein's profundity on the pop scene.
> Carol

Come now. Is this a verbal argument ('pop=superficial' etc.)? Surely there is
'popular' music with depth - how about Beatles' 'A Day In The Life', Dylan's
'Like A Rolling Stone', Television's 'Marquee Moon', 'Astral Weeks', 'Forever
Changes', Presley's 'Heartbreak Hotel', Radiohead's 'Ok Computer'? (And what
about old _popular_ blues and folk and jazz?).Of course you could be just
saying none of this is close to the profundity of Rammstein. Never heard him.
But I have heard 'Kind of Blue' - that's popular and has depth, surely?

See, even without yet using ears to check I doubts Rammy is profundier than
Bachers and some poppermost music has I think depths at least closing to some
of that. Plus, of course Bachers and Mozzie and Beethy were popular in their
time - even if not always as recognised as hindsight might tell us.

Donal
Taking a conciliatory stance in the high/low art wars
England