[lit-ideas] Why The Compressor Shorted To Ground

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 14:15:02 EST

Geary writes (I'm minimizing his references to God):

>Preventive maintenance, especially cleaning the
>condenser coil,  oiling the fan motor, tightening electrical connections may
>well have  prevented or at least forestalled this burn-out.

Out of the explanation, a Popperian may produce an explanation of why it  did
short to ground:

Preventive maintenace, viz.
      (i)  Condenser coil gets cleaned.
      (ii) Fan motor gets oiled.
      (iii) Electrical connections get tightened.
   ____________________________________

The 'compressor' does not 'short' (to ground).

Via reductio ad absurdum we negate the premisses:

      Non-preventive maintenance, viz.
      (i) Condenser coil is not clean, but  _dirty_.
      (ii) Fan motor thirsty of oil
      (iii) Electrical connections loose.

     Ergo, the 'compressor' shorts to ground.

---- The question is whether we need to apply the <> ('necessity')  operator:

     <> Coil is dirty
     <> Fan motor is dry
     <> Cable connections lose
     _____________________________________

     <> Compressor shorts.

I don't think so. As Geary notes, "it ain't necessarily so". So what we can
at most get is
a probabilistic explanation.

Geary wittily adds a human factor -- for it's _people_ who have to _intend_
to clean the coil, oil the motor and tighten the connections.

In this respect, a 'compressor' is a human-teleological thing, unlike a
milk-cow called Bossy who'll supply _milk_ regardless.

Cheers,

JL
   author of "Nature and Artifice: The Distinction and How Not To  Make It"

products.