[lit-ideas] Why The Compressor Shorted To Ground

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:32:20 EST

Eric Yost quotes from D. McEvoy's negativistic  Popperianism:

>>No claim we make as to the truth is ever  _demonstrably >>certain_

I disagree -- not with Eric's quoting, but with  McEvoy's statement.

>No claim we make as to the truth is ever  _demonstrably >certain_.

You may feel I'm overreacting at my thinking I've  insulted Geary, but I'm
not.

Actually, as usual, his is a good example. He wrote that it can be tiring  to
explain _why_ a compressor shorts to ground. This would presuppose he _can_
explain why. His original words were:

>I haven't the foggiest what the hell [Palma and  Speranza] >are talking
about.

And he'll admit it -- yet, in a more Christian mood, he  says,

>It gets tedious trying to tell a customer why his  >compressor shorted to
ground when he doesn't know what a >compressor  is or does or what shorted
means.

His is the very example given by Reichenbach of a  _scientific explanation_
as Donal and Popper will agree.

It's deductive, mechanical explanation of the best  possible sort.

It explains a phenomenon ('the compressor shorted to  ground') by providing,
not the _reasons_, but the very _cause_. In  symbols:

               [Cause 1: The compressor had property Phi]
              [Cause  2: Circumstancial:
                        Plus  Ceteris-Paribus Caveat]
              NATURAL  LAW:
For  any compressor, if compressor has
               property Phi, then, under circumstances C,
              the  compressor will short to ground]

               Ergo: the compressor did short to ground.

"As I told you it would under the  circumstances"

"But can you explain _why_?"

"Yes. The compressor shorted to ground _because_ the  compressor [fill in
with relevant property Phi'] to
which you add the circumstance [fill in circumstance  C],
and due to the CAUSAL connection of C and  Phi',
the compressor shorted to  ground."

"But surely that's not a physical necessity,  Geary".

"Physical necessity? You mean "Truth"? [Geary says he  knows about Truth].

"Yes"

"Well, dunno"

------ INTERLUDE ALLA MCEVOY:

"No, you dunno, and you're bound not to know, because  it's all guesswork.
Surely we can conceive a parallel universe where ALL the  circumstances are
EXACTLY as you describe them, including the compressor having  this and that
property, and YET, the compressor NOT shorting to  ground."

----

And I would agree.

It is certainly conceivable that Geary's mechanistic explanation fails.
Indeed, it not us providing for the
possibility of _failing_, we wouldn't count the explanation
-- if that is what it is -- as 'empirical'.

"But what about the clause about "for every compressor..."", Geary may ask.

"Well, that's surely also probabilistic. If you want to make it _not_
probabilistic, then you're entering the linguistic-turn philosophy and making
the
claim definitional and vacuous."

Reichenbach's famous example here  is "All ravens are black, and I can
explain that".

When it comes down to _explaining_ *why* all ravens are black, it turns out
to Reichenbach:

(i) making it 'tautological' and 'analytic' that all ravens are black.

(ii) making it vacuous. So, supposing this bird is brought to Reichenbach,
which has all the properties of the raven EXCEPT it being black, Reichenbach
could

(iii) inntroduce the class of 'albino ravens' -- exception that proves  the
rule, or

(iv) dismissing the alleged non-black raven as a raven.

The dream that we can _explain_ nature (or why compressors short to  ground)
is Thales of Mileto's dream (or Thales's of Mileto, if you  prefer).

And it is a dream _worth_ dreaming.

J. L. Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina

products.