[lit-ideas] Re: Why Is Academic Writing So Academic?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:53:15 -0500 (EST)

O. K. is right that the author of

"Why Is Academic Writing So Academic?"

is expecting a tautologous reply.

"It wouldn't be academic if it were not academic".

McEvoy should object at this point that we are mitigating the force of
'so'. The question is:

"Why Is Academic Writing SO [emphasis mine. Speranza] Academic?"

and not the trivial

"Why Is Academic Writing Academic?"

And the logical form of 'so' is _so_ complex, to echo Witters.

----

In a message dated 2/25/2014 8:43:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx writes:

In a message dated 2/25/2014 5:48:03 P.M.  Eastern Standard Time,
pastone@xxxxxxxxx writes:
"diety"? Laughing...I would  think it was a typo, but with mike, one never
can tell.

He is quoting  from Geary:

On Feb 25, 2014 5:29 PM, "Mike Geary"  <gearyservice@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>what kind of diety would create  a Life Form that depends for its life on
eating other Life Forms?

----

As Geary notes, the _essence_ of academic writing (and also reading, if I
may otiosely add -- since, as Emily Dickinson once wrote (and read), "Why am
I  writing all this stuff if I shall be the only one to read it?") is
_theological_:

deity (n.) Look up deity at Dictionary.comc.1300, "divine nature;" late
14c., "a god," from Old French deité, from Late Latin deitatem (nominative
deitas) "divine nature," coined by Augustine from Latin deus "god," from PIE
*deiwos (see Zeus).

Agustine thought that 'deus' was not enough. He needed a 'deitas'.

Or not.

"Deus" was possibly being abused by Augustine's time, hence the need to
coin 'deity' (deitas). Deus shares the root with Sanscr.: dī, div- (dyu-),  to
gleam: dyāus (Gr. ζεύς), heaven: dévas, God; cf. Gr. διος, εὐδία;
but not  θεός, Curt. Gr. etym. 503 sqq.. a god, a deity (for syn. cf.:
divus, numen).

And so on.

Cheers,

Speranza