[lit-ideas] Re: Why Is Academic Writing So Academic?

  • From: Mike Geary <gearyservice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:29:29 -0600

Not having read much into "primary source" materials, I have no standing in
this discussion; nevertheless' I dare say that of those few primary sources
I have read, there seems to be precious little satire or sarcasm or irony
or word play or humor or levity of any kind whatsoever.  That would lead me
to believe that philosopher types are fundamentally serious souls intent of
finding just ONE damn indisputable fact that a philosophical system can be
built upon.  Descartes thought he had found it with his Cogito, but, as
some wag remarked, he had committed the fallacy of putting Descartes before
des horse.  Me? I question God's hand in this mess.  I mean, what kind of
diety would create a Life Form that depends for it's life on eating other
Life Forms?  Knowing that one exists only to be eaten -- whether by lions
or tigers or bears or microbes or whatever -- greatly detracts from our
desire to sanctify existence and greatly disturbs one's sense of
equanimity, on the other hand, it has caused me to look anew at God and to
wonder if this is not a part of his infinite humor.  I now have visions of
God sitting up there in his big God chair and rollicking with laughter.