[lit-ideas] Re: Why Gadhafi Disarmed

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:57:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> Bush and co. would love us to read between the lines
> that Gaddafi was oh so scared by what he saw them
> cowboys do to Iraq that he quickly dropped his evil
> plans.
> Bush didn't say that Gadhafi disarmed because of
> fear of conflict, Gadhafi
> said that.

*He also said that "the world is a changed place in
which his country can feel safe without
weapons of mass destruction." Unless he means that the
world in general is now safer than it was a few years
ago, which nobody else would have noticed but him,
this rhetoric probably means that he received some
assurances. We may infer that dictatorships are all
right if they don't develop "weapons of mass
destruction" or lack the ability to do so.

> But there was no reason for him to be scared,
> because there was no US plan to attack Lybia after
> Iraq; Syria, Iran, and North Korea were being
> mentioned as possible candidates.
>
> How do we know that?

*It wasn't mentioned by anyone, even by the neo-cons.
The Administration would have needed some time to
brainwash the public opinion... I mean, to prepare it
for a new offensive. Also, it wasn't on the list of
Israel's demands, and the US usually only attacks the
countries Israel designates as troublesome. (That
Gaddafi might have sponsored some terrorist attacks in
Europe is a minor matter which, as we see, can be
settled with a nice apology and paying some cash.)

O.K.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash