[lit-ideas] Re: Who's Crazy? We Are

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:23:36 -0700

Andy Amago wrote:

> Pharma makes it profitable for doctors to give out drugs.  They actually
> keep track of how many prescriptions doctors write and adjust their
> marketing of the doctors accordingly.  It's high pressure sales with lots
> of expensive freebies thrown in.  It's why the drugs have to be so
> expensive, since vacations, uh, seminars, are not cheap.

I know you've got this thing for Big Pharma, but the clinic I go to
doesn't even let drug reps in the door. And, in many cases in which
doctors 'give out drugs,' they give them to people who've been cut off
even from Medicaid. Of course these 'free drugs' run out; and of course
those to whom they're given can hardly afford to demand prescriptions
for them after they do, just because they've been seduced by TV
commercials. A prescription, if you have no money or health insurance
is like a right without a tail.

Robert Paul