[lit-ideas] Re: Who won, or lost, the Cold War

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 02:12:21 -0800 (PST)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Theorists from the Democratic Party argue that the
> policy developed during
> the Truman administration won the Cold War.
> Republican theorists argue that
> Reagan's resolve won the Cold War.  To say that we
> didn't win the Cold War
> but instead the USSR simply collapsed would (check
> me if I'm wrong oh Logic
> Police) imply that it wasn't a War after all.

If ~C(x) XOR ~C(y) -> ~W(x,y)
"If x doesn't collapse, and y doesn't collapse, then
there was no war between x and y."
Let x be Iran, y be Iraq, and W be Iran-Iraq war,
then:
Iran did not collapse, Iraq did not collapse,
therefore there was no Iran-Iraq war.

It should be noted that in the field of logic of war
and peace, the controversial Liverpool school
maintains that we can grasp the sufficent conditions
of war with little mental effort. Now given that while
Soviet union was atheistic, no heaven, and finally
ceased to exist as a country, still its citizens
certainly seemed willing to die for it, which means
that Lawrence was right after all. Contra
Liverpoolians, it has been argued that "easy if you
try" is a contradiction in terms.

At your service,
Teemu
Chief Reviosionist, Logic Corps