[lit-ideas] Re: Who is the philosopher, and who is the poet?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:48:24 -0700

Lawrence

In reading Robert’s note (included below), I recalled something said by Schopenhauer, something to the effect that no teacher ever became a philosopher. Of course his statement was not taken terribly seriously. He had Hegel in mind if memory serves me. He hated Hegel. But he has a bit of a point. There is a difference between doing philosophy and discussing or teaching the philosophy of someone who has done philosophy in the past. I may be misreading Robert, but his brief seems to be that of Alan Bloom rather than of someone wishing to “do philosophy.”

I think you have badly misunderstood me, which means that I have expressed myself badly; for what I love is the doing of it (meaning in small part that I don't think it's entirely out of the question that I should contribute in some very small way to the disentangling or the clarification of some contemporary or historical philosophical problem). Even a new insight into Aristotle would on my view come about through doing philosophy. If ancient and modern texts did not engage me philosophically, I would have no interest in discussing them; I have no interest in them simply because they are ancient or modern (Post-Cartesian) texts, or because these are the Big Texts. As one of my very first philosophy professors once said to a student who'd responded to something by saying, 'Mill says...,' 'Yes, I know what he says; but what does it mean, and is it true?' I really have no interest in some traditional philosophical canon. Hegel makes me positively ill, and except for Hume, the British Empiricists are as interesting to me as
James G. Blaine.

On 1 April, of this year, I wrote the following in response to something Irene had said

'Philosophy is an activity, not a body of knowledge like history or
what's contained in a telephone book. It does not 'lie' anywhere, any
more or any less than biology 'lies somewhere.' There are philosophers
and there are biologists and there are stand-up comedians. What
philosophers and biologists and stand-up comedians do officially is
philosophy; biology; and stand up comedy, respectively, although the
first and last enterprises mentioned sometimes overlap.'

OPf course, I would add now that of course historians 'do history.'

in his /The Closing of the American Mind /bemoaned the loss of the Classics. It used to be that everyone who was educated embraced “the classics.” This was a body of literature (including philosophy) that educated people held in common. But when it became politically correct to abandon merit in favor of something else like minority rights, the American Mind became closed.

Whatever Bloom says about the 'American Mind,' and lost knowledge (or the bluff of erudition at cocktail parties), has never, if one discounts the proliferation of new fields with 'studies' appended to them (as in post-nirvana studies), affected the study of Western philosophy to any extent. Most Western philosophy departments teach 'the classics,' not because they're the classics but because the important philosophical problems come from them.

Is not Robert saying something like that? “Once, for example, it was possible to discuss specific passages from the Tractatus, with law professors at Northwestern, Eric Dean, and others; Hume (and sometimes Popper) with Donal; Kant with Walter and Phil; contemporary British philosophy with JL (and so on, I want to say, in order to disguise my failing memory). As far as I can see we have lost the ability and the collegial politeness to tolerate such discussions.”

No, it isn't. My lament was that such discussions are no longer tolerated on lit-ideas, and this is discouraging to a few of us. Surely, my last sentence should make this clear: it isn't that some of us are advocating discussions of philosophical Great Books; it's that we've tried, and lately failed, to find space here for any philosophical conversations at all.

I looked in Robert’s comments for something that implied “doing philosophy” and found, “What is it that motivates you to pursue and promote this discipline? Walter asks. My own answers are modest: I enjoy the 'distinct form of inquiry and analysis,' and I believe deeply that someone who takes philosophy seriously, even without committing his or her life to it, will be drawn to think, however briefly, however confusedly, about a way of life, in that old Greek sense; about how one should live. Fine words.”

[See above citation from my April post.]

So what is “this discipline”? A given philosopher’s philosophy might involve a “discipline,” but doesn’t Robert mean the “study of philosophy” rather than the practice of doing of philosophy? The study is a discipline, the doing is out there beyond the edge where there are no rules and can be no discipline. And if we are concerned about the embracing of the study, the dwelling upon what the great minds of the past have written, aren’t we in Bloom country?

I don't understand what's meant by the suggestion that doing philosophy is 'out there beyond the edge where there are no rules and can be no discipline.

And perhaps I was drawn to write as I did in this note because I was unhappy with the way we left the matter of literature. Literature seemed to be the same sort of thing as philosophy in Robert’s note, the study of Hawthorne or Eliot or Stevens. What if someone wrote something and posted it here on Lit-Ideas and what it if was as good as something written by Nathaniel Hawthorne or T. S. Eliot or Wallace Stevens. Would those who are members here recognize it for what it is and acclaim it? Or would it be beyond them because it isn’t Nathaniel Hawthorne or T.S. Eliot or Wallace Stevens?

Hmm. I really can't speculate, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be welcomed with open arms.

The doing of literature has greater value than the knowing of the literature created by someone in the past – assuming reasonable levels of competence. I don’t know if the same thing can be said about philosophy. Does anyone “do” philosophy today? Lots of people on the other hand “do literature.” I’m not referring here to writers who are self-deceived, who fancy they are better than they really are. I’ve read a lot of it and there is quite a lot that is pretty good, well worth doing whether or not it quite measures up to Hawthorne or Eliot or Stevens.

Yes, people do philosophy today. List on request.

I recall the note of Paul Stone mildly bemoaning the lack of literature on lit-ideas much as Robert Paul bemoans the lack of philosophy, but I wonder what David Ritchie, Mike Geary and a few others thought of Stone’s comment. I have the impression that if Ritchie and Geary upped their production ten-fold that still wouldn’t satisfy Stone, that he didn’t have the “doing of literature” in mind when he wrote but the “discipline,” the study of past “doers of literature.” And that he too is living in Bloom Country.

'He too...' Pas moi, ami.

I thank Lawrence for doing what he does.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute