[lit-ideas] Re: Who breaks a butterfly on a wheel?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:22:32 EST

Re: Ritchie's lovely recollection,

I think I forgot in my previous sketch of the life and opinions of  Rees-Mogg
to mention:

"Tony Benn mentions that William Rees-Mogg had risen to the rank of  sergeant
during World War Two."

How can that be just a matter of a mention by Tony Benn. Should be on the
records!

In Argentina, there is a BIG social class distinction in the army between
what they call

"Escuela de Suboficiales" -- where you can at most attain the rank of
'sergeant'.
(working class, even low-class, most of them 'gauchos' of the true kind!  and
hardly literate before joining the army)

and

"Escuela de Oficiales" -- which is an elitist thing, a la Sandhurst.

Since Rees-Mogg became a sargeant during 'operations' does that reflect a
distinction in the background?

Grice, for example, fought in the 'Phoney War', too (hate that expression,
'phoney war') but rose to the rank of _captain_ and with the prestigious RN
itself.

Cheers,

JL
   Student of Snob