[lit-ideas] Re: Who are you supporting in this war?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:19:55 +0900

"To say as you do that we are not at war, when we have been attacked
over and over again with all the weapons at the disposal of our enemy,
is  . . . well I'll speculate about that later."

A bit hyperbolic, aren't we. Excluding the insurgency in Iraq and
Afghanistan, where we are the ones who've invaded someone else's
country what are we talking about? The Marine Barracks in Beirut, the
East African embassies, the USS Cole, World Trade Center 1993 and
World Trade Center and Pentagon 2001. One incident every couple of
years with maximum casualty rates less than we slaughter on the
nation's highways in an average month and far less than the annual
mortality due to tobacco-induced cancers.

Yes, we have to take these people seriously. It's unwise to ignore
fanatics and assume that they don't really mean what they say. But to
be asked to respond to this level of hurt with actions that destroy
the core meaning of America, the place with habeas corpus, the place
with a Bill of Rights, the place that strikes back but doesn't strike
first without clear and present danger—not vague threats based on
misinformation or lies. Not this American Patriot.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.