[lit-ideas] Re: Whittier To Be Atoned

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 15:29:43 -0800

On Nov 5, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

I was intrigued by the ref. Ritchie makes to Churchill knowing Whittier by rote. I passed once Whittier's birthplace in the best part of New England. In "Atonement", my favourite bit is when the Tommies sing the hymn that the BBC once had as the 'most popular hymn ever', certainly the most beautiful. That's "Dear lord and father of mankind", set almost Verdi-like (Va Pensiero) by that charming snob, Parry.
Cheers. JL Speranza, Bordighera

According to the "Churchill Center and Museuam at the Cabinet War Rooms, London," Roosevelt was "amazed" that Churchill knew and was able to recite the poem. Maybe Winston's mother liked it?

They also say that his favorite type of music was Victorian music hall songs.

Meanwhile...I have been chasing "blokes" and "Pepsi."

And then I realized I didn't know the origin of "bloke," so I read a thread at urban dictionary and learned "bloke" is a mild insult when used by Quebecois, "J'ai foutu le camp parce que j'étais tanné d'être entouré de blokes." And what is the English-speaker's response? "I left there because I was surrounded by Pepsis."

I also don't know whether the plural of Pepsi is "Pepsies" or "Pepsis." Neither looks right. One looks like the after-effect of an infection. Pepsi's website is annoying and doesn't reveal the answer readily.

The source says the term "Pepsi" (sometimes "pepper") comes from a perception that French speakers are ignorant regarding nutrition and cheap--Pepsi costs less. People who haven't even got an exact equivalent of "cheap" in their language, people of French origin, being accused of being cheap and not understanding food! What a world.

Partridge and the OED say they don't know where "bloke" came from. First appears as nineteenth century naval slang.

Does anyone here know more than this?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon