[lit-ideas] Re: Whinger... (Was: Thinks...)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:41:37 EDT

D. Ritchie wrote:
"A  whinger is one who whinges.
Paradoxically, he [they] may be  silenced
with a  "whinger."
T. Fjeld asks:

>But then wouldn't it add up to
>"Whingers are those who  whinge. [or is she who whinges]
>Homonymically," etc. ?
Mmm. Only I would not say 'homonymically' there -- but 'heteronymically'?
The OED has two entries:
'whinger-1', the dagger,
and
'whinger-2',  unrelated:
she who whinges.
Quotes for 'whinger-2' below. I suppose the context -- in Scotland -- would
make it more or less obvious what 'whinger' is involved (or 'meant' or
'implicated'). This is notably _not_ a case of ambiguity, but heteronymy and
homonymy (as with 'vyse' and 'vice', etc.).
Cheers,
JL
'whinger-2':
[she who whinges]
1791 J. LEARMONT Poems 312
I'll nae act the whinger's  part,
Like bairnies discontentit.
1934 Bulletin (Sydney) 27 June  11/2
Touching the query about  â??whingerâ??.., â??winjerâ?? was accepted slang for
â??
grumblerâ?? at Q. Uni. a few years  ago, and probably still is. I have seldom
heard
it elsewhere, and no one who  uses it seems to know the derivation.
1959 I. & P. OPIE  Lore & Lang. Schoolch. x. 186
Other local terms for  crying... In Dublin the usual word is â??whingingâ??,
hence â??whingerâ??, a term also  still used in Cumberland, and occasionally
heard
in Liverpool.
1983 Listener 14 Apr. 17/2
Certainly, no whinger like me  will ever turn Simon into a  dissident.