[lit-ideas] Re: Whig/Denim/Jeans

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:49:27 -0700

I haven't been able to confirm the whig origin tale, but I have found that it is widely known.

Filling in time while Erin prepares an extensive and exciting account of her travels, I pass you this tidbit from Victoria Finlay, "Color; A Natural History of the Palette." It comes in a footnote, "Levi Strauss wanted to make the strongest possible overalls for the gold miners...so he imported a blue cloth from the French town of Nimes (it was called serge de Nimes, hence denim). It was only many years later that the trousers were named "jeans" after the Genoese sailors who transported the cloth.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon