[lit-ideas] Re: Which Doctor's Excuse?

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 22:46:28 -0400

Other than antibiotics for infectious bacteria, which are becoming
increasingly less effective anyway, the body for the most part heals
itself.  With the right nutrition and exercise, and with a little genetic
luck, which most of us have, and decent sanitation, which all of us have,
there's really no reason to get sick.  Beyond that, much of what doctors
offer, or used to offer, is basically touch and a semblance of caring,
coupled with placebo effect, which is what shamans offer.  Nowadays
American doctors offer unnecessary tests and lots of drugs which they
prescribe on behalf of pharma.   In the U.S. especially we're dying of
excess, and no doctor can prevent that except to hand out drugs, lots of
drugs, that may alleviate misery somewhat and/or extend misery depending on
how you look at it.

Someone I know was just diagnosed with breast cancer, and of course, she's
overweight, not obese, but overweight.  She never exercises, loves the ole
meat (although meat eating has not been definitively connected to breast
cancer but it is connected to other tumors), but lots of meat means minimal
vegetables. She certainly didn't give the body what it needed to stay well.
Survival rates are increased  50% just with 3 hours a week of moderate
exercise, that's how little Americans exercise, that they have to be told
to do that.  It's ironic that you scoff at shamans in a society that lives
on a vegetable based diet (which is far better for the planet) and is
forced to exercise by virtue of their lifestyle instead of the self
defeating quality of the modern lifestyle and modern pharma driven
medicine.