[lit-ideas] Where's Hitchcock when you need him?

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:51:31 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I told you already that we have two bird families building nests in the eves on
opposite sides of the house. In addition to the fact that I don't particularly
like birds, they make such a mess.  They ripped off the molding on one side,
plus the inevitable circle of bird droppings under the nest, plus I have to
keep washing bird poop off the windows.  Anyway, this morning I'm lying in bed
and the birds are going crazy.  So loud.  They kept waking me up.  I'm
thinking, as soon as the chicks are hatched and gone I'm getting an
exterminator.  So, I get up, mosey into the kitchen, and in the room off the
kitchen (the one I was in in the picture), I look and there's a bird thrashing
around on the inside trying to get out the window.  I said, oh no.  There are
ten windows in that room (because of the pretty view on the side and all the
woods in the back we turned the deck into a year-round porch or sun room; we
spend all our time in there) but the screens are those Anderson things, they
don't just open.  So I flung the door open, ran downstairs to get a broom to
guide it, ran back up.  By then the bird flew into the living room and was
thrashing around in my big fig tree.  In the living room the windows are the
old fashioned double hungs so I opened one up.  The terrified little thing
(actually it was a pretty decent sized bird) flew across the room and landed
behind the blinds in the picture part of the window.  I kept manipulating the
blinds to get it to the open window but it kept escaping anything I did.  I
then opened another window and still no luck.  Finally I raised the blinds and
at that point it must have sensed the open window next to it and it flew out.
Well, okay, it wasn’t that exciting, but it’s as much excitement as I like.

We've had birds in the house before.  I came home once in the late 90’s and my
other cat greeted me, and if that cat could talk, she would have said, you
won't believe what she’s got in there, meaning my current cat who was a kitten
then.  Sure enough, I went into the bedroom and my cat had a bird cornered on
the floor, just getting ready to pounce.  I yelled at her and my cat took off.
The bird was fortunately unhurt and I maneuvered it outside also.

Hopefully no more excitement, and I guess no exterminator either.