[lit-ideas] Re: Where politics hits the grass

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:20:20 -0800 (PST)

Except that the attempts, even goals, of the IMF and World Bank are hardly
benevolent.  They're in fact quite malevolent.  They encouraged agrarian people
in Africa and Haiti to stop farming and rely on the developed countries like
the U.S. for their food and now they have no food at all because they have no
money to buy with, which the IMF adn World Bank so helpfully lend them.  They
were not encouraging development, they were encouraging first world markets for
consummate selfish first world purposes at the expense of the third world.

--- On Fri, 11/7/08, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

He seems to want to argue
that we have misunderstood what caused the Industrial Revolution and thus our
attempts, through the I.M.F. and the World Bank, to encourage development in
other countries, are wrongheaded.