[lit-ideas] Re: Where politics hits the grass

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:34:19 -0800 (PST)

Actually, this is, as I see it, a defense mechanism.  The issue is too big, too
outside the ability to manage it, which in fact it is.  So what do we do (and
this is not criticism at all, it's just fact, we all do it), we dive into our
heads.  And it's another one of God's jokes (I mean that literally, the God
everyone believes in) that the head, that big human brain, minus the heart is a
disembodied, safe place but it absolutely shuts down problem solving.  That big
brain is such a liability with nothing good about it. The head and the emotions
need to work together.  Instead there's this plexiglass between the two.

From: Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 3:59 PM

Reading Irene I'm always reminded of the line from "Child Psychology" by Black
Box Recorder: "Life is unfair.  Kill yourself or get over it."

Mike Geary
Memphis

From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 5:51 AM

I'm a little surprised.  What on earth motivates you to continue to feel badly
for the monsters that destroy and deplete this entirely screwed up planet of
ours?  There are times, Irene, whether I wonder why you wouldn't rather see the
entire thing go up in a mushroom cloud.

Of course, it's hard to measure reality against either Edenic idealism or
catastrophic nihilism.

If people are so little worth saving, so awful, so irredeemable, why does the
experience and trajectory people trouble you so much?

Either you care or you don't .... if we're monsters, you can stop being upset
about it.  If we aren't, then we aren't.

You seem to see things in very chiaroscuro tones.  If humanity does not follow
the behaviours you believe best for the planet, for vegetable growth, for
animal life, for human children, there's no point to it.

If humanity has areas that behave in ways you perceive as good, it's a waste of
effort or thought, because humanity, the planet are too far gone.

I almost think you don't want there to be anything good or redemptive or
positive....  it would perhaps be an affront in some way to your basic
philosophy, your basic view of the world.  I have known a few people for whom a
sense of impending doom and despair keep their lives worth living.  But I don't
think you're one of them.

I don't know how to understand it.  I keep trying -- and I will keep trying ...
because the best thing I know to do about being human is to try to learn to
think in ways I am not accustomed to.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:35 PM, Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I read about it too, but it really saddens me to think of the animals and the
way they're tortured so humans can eat, like there's nothing else they can
eat.  Lately it's become a struggle even to go to Wal-Mart or Target because of
the way people treat their children.  Sometimes I just can't deal with it.
It's like why do they have children.  It's all the same thing, the same
heartlessness, the same brainlessness.

From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>

To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 3:02 AM

You say things like "what can be done?" and shrug in resignation, but when
there are real, viable, approaches to solutions out there you aren't interested
in them?  Or, rather, you aren't interested in what people who are passionate
about changing things are proposing?  That sounds like exactly what you're
describing by "that's the way people are".  The irony is that you aren't
interested in glancing at a website or discussing it which actually suggests
specific ways to make the economy thrive by working on the environment...you
seem to just want to complain that no one cares, there aren't any decent ideas,
and no one will pay attention ....wo, say, a website like that...

But whaddo I know.

--
Julie Krueger

--