[lit-ideas] Where is Where and What is Actually Happening?

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:46:42 -0700

The BBC website currently has a piece about a break-in at an Apple store in
Temecula, California.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19595853
The host says that the crime took place "in Los Angeles."  This is equivalent,
for those of you oriented to U.K. geography, of saying that something that
happened in Southampton took place "in London."  Temecula is 84 miles from
downtown L.A.

But what else might they have said?  "Here's a robbery that took place, well no
place interesting actually, but the footage is quite good and we like pieces
that make burglars look stupid because they feed our desire for revenge."

And how did the thieves end up in a BMW?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19562487

Enjoy your weekend.

David Ritchie,
Portland,