[lit-ideas] Re: Where I'm Coming From

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 22:37:51 -0700

On May 1, 2006, at 7:40 PM, Mike Geary wrote:

DR;

Like any society, this one had its samurai, all of whom had thrown up earthworks a while back and were now engaged--in classic academic manner--in the game of lobbing, from time to time, mortar shots at anyone who seemed to be interesting in storming their particular hill. When they weren't shooting they were, of course, giving polite waves and then sweeping feathered caps with grand motions, classic eighteenth century bows, deep genuflections. And then there were the graduate students and new-minted temps, whose task it was to take one of the balls that had rolled down the hill from an earthwork and add something humble to it, a change of direction, a new layer, a bit of sparkle. Which efforts were approved from the top of the hills, or given the old raised eyebrow. And then there were one or two versions of me, middle career people who strolled around in sturdy garb, behaving as if there weren't a war on. Some of us won considerable applause...from all but the samurai.

Thank you for this paragraph. It reminded me of why I chose to work in 140 degree F. attics instead of air conditioned classrooms. I was having a very, very hard time remembering why all day today. Yes, I sometimes want to kick myself, but then something or someone kindly reminds me. Thanks again.

I think it is worth repeating that the samurai come by their positions slowly and with discipline. These are not musketeers who are sweeping their hats to the ground, people with only some young level of skill at arquebus firing or rapier wielding, but folk who have devoted their whole lives to whatever it is that the earthworks now surround. All I am accusing them of is being entrenched, of having put aside that flexibility of mind that is the theoretical goal of academia.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon