[lit-ideas] Re: When the world ends

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 17:00:21 -0800

John

Referring back to the parable, perhaps Esperanza is the Frenchman, you are
the Englishman, and I am the German.   My impression (based on next to
nothing) is that Esperanza thinks it frivolous, you want to get into the
details and facts, and I want to speculate about the idea.  Can we have
anything to talk about?

Lawrence

"A Frenchman, an Englishman, and a German each undertook a study of the
camel.

"The Frenchman went to the Jardin des Plantes, spent half an hour there,
questioned the guard, threw bread to the camel, poked it with the point of
his umbrella, and, returning home, wrote an article for his paper full of
sharp and witty observations.

"The Englishman, taking his tea basket and a good deal of camping equipment,
went to set up camp in the Orient, returning after a sojourn of two or three
years with a fat volume, full of raw, disorganized, and inconclusive facts
which, nevertheless, had real documentary value.

"As for the German, filled with disdain for the Frenchman's frivolity and
the Englishman's lack of general ideas, he locked himself in his room, and
there he drafted a several-volume work entitled: The Idea of the Camel
Derived from the Concept of the Ego."

La Perlerin, September 1, 1929, p. 13 and quoted in the front of French
Philosophy of the Sixties, An Essay on Antihumanism by Luc Ferry and Alain
Renaut