[lit-ideas] Re: When a civilized society fights a barbarous one

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:51:50 +0100 (BST)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Judy:
>

> You say "balderdash" in a note that appeared in my
> inbox at the same time as
> one by Irene providing an example of the smugness
> and massive moral
> paralysis described in the article:

Lawrence, my "balderdash" referred specifically to
Diana West's

 "The morally superior (read: paralyzed) don't really
take sides; don't really believe one culture is
qualitatively better or worse than the other. They
don't even believe one culture is just plain different
from the other."

which seems to be to be wrong almost by definition.
Those who seek to hold the US (etc.) to a high
standard, those who do not accept that it's right for
the US (etc.) to use torture because others use
torture, those who oppose the use of torture by their
government in the knowledge that it is often used by
other governments, patently obviously believe that
some cultures are different from others and that some
cultures are better than others.  It's slightly
worrying that West cannot see this.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html