[lit-ideas] Re: When a civilized society fights a barbarous one

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:56:53 -0400

Eric  wrote:

I tried to show that claims to superiority reside in overall governing ideals, and may be constantly refuted in day-to-day praxis. Otherwise the society with the lowest ideals would be superior because it always lived up to those low ideals.

Balderdash!, to steal a word from Judy. According to this, the country that speaks the highest ideals while never meeting them wins. That's just as absurd as your "Otherwise...".

To be sure, the US constitution does set a very high standard. But it's only honoured in the attempt to live up to those standards. And I don't see any such attempt today. What I see , rather, is something along the lines of "We're both doing barbaric things but we're not barbarians because we know better." Barbarian is as barbarian does. The rest is rationalization.
Ursula