[lit-ideas] Re: When a civilized society fights a barbarous one

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 00:24:17 +0100

LH>It would seem, by the way, that the incendiaries were
LH> the work of the British

I always think of the bombing of Dresden as British in its inception.
Charles Portal advocated bombing entire towns and cities in 1941,
and when Bomber Harris became Head of Bomber Command  in
1942 he introduced such an idea.  In 1945, he decided to
firestorm Dresden.  (Sorry if you were thought and hoped I
was attacking the US.)

LH>The logic of your note seems to be one of chiding -
LH>chiding me for suggesting that someone who underwent
LH> the bombing of London would approve the bombing of Dresden:

you suggested that if Mike had lived through the Blitz (as we call it)
he wouldn't attack the bombing of Dresden.  I'm an awful lot
closer to that than you -- my comments implied -- but that the
next street to here was bombed and my garden may have been
is simply a reminder to me, now; the more relevant part of my remark
is

JE>Nor did you have a family that lived through the
JE>bombing of Bristol, hiding from the bombs while
JE>the house next door collapsed

as my family lived then.

But they did not live through the bombing of London.
There were though people who did, who opposed the bombing
of Dresden.  Yes.

Judy Evans, Cardiff