[lit-ideas] Re: What's wrong with this sentence?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:44:13 EST

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12223965_
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12223965)

"[C]orrespondents say the US side is making sure this state visit lacks
none of the required pomp."

In a message dated 1/19/2011 9:38:43 P.M., juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx  writes:
Doesn't it seem odd to say that steps are being taken to make sure
something that is required doesn't happen?

----
Not so sure about that. I would take "-" logically as the contradiction
sign. So the logical form of 'lack' involves "-" (negation).

i. The US side is making sure the visit lacks none of the required  pomp.
ii. The visit lacks none of the required pomp.
iii. The visit has ALL of the required pomp.

This may involve an implicature at the level of the so-called "Square of
Opposition"

A  E
I   O

all --- none
some  --- some not

Etc.
It is best to replace "lacks none" by affirmative corresponding judgements,
 and then there's the verification-falsification problem alla Popper as to
how  the US side can verify that it does thus.

---- It is easier to prove an affirmative than otherwise.

Speranza

---

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 6:30 PM, John McCreery  <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Personally, I would add a "that" after  correspondence to improve the
rhythm and clarify the structure.
On  2011/01/20, at 0:18, Julie C <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(Is it just  me?)
<<But correspondents say the US side is making sure this state  visit lacks
none of the required pomp.>>
_http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12223965_
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12223965)
Julie  Krueger