[lit-ideas] Re: What's wrong with the world

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:53:29 -0800

How quickly they forget. From their infancy to their first words and steps, we
brought up our children according to the commonsense advice of Benjamin Spock.
And so did everyone else we knew.

'Generations of children around the world have been reared on Spock's fatherly
advice, dispensed in a simple, straightforward and reassuring style. Indeed,
Spock's book became the modern bible of baby care, and he himself enjoyed near
universal acclaim as America's favorite doctor."

His /Baby and Child Care/ was first published in 1946, and the eighth edition
is still in print. I'd bet a fair sum that far more children have been brought
up according to Spock's theories than according to those of B. F. Skinner and
his ilk.

The sott. net article strikes me as bad history 'supported' by and in turn
putting forward far-fetched generalizations. Any 'survey' of Western child
rearing practices that fails to mention Spock is a monument to the ignorance
Andy routinely deplores.

Robert Paul