[lit-ideas] Re: What's THIS ?!?

  • From: "Adriano Palma" <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:40:36 +0200

** Low Priority **
** Reply Requested by 4/12/2012 (Thursday) **

boldrin & levin have a nice theory of it

>>> Thomas Hart <tehart@xxxxxxx> 12/04/2012 03:24 AM >>>

My understanding was that this was about files, not physically loaning your
Kindle to someone else. I don't recall any disclaimers on any of my Kindle
books about lending, or reading aloud anyhow. It may be on the EULA for the
device, but who reads those anyhow?

People may steal at self check outs because they give up in disgust trying to
use the damn things. I prefer to use the regular check outs with a human.

Everyone may not be a thief, which is legally doubtful given the complexity of
the tax code, but I don't know anyone who is 100% law abiding.

Now that I think about it, since taxation is thievery, and we all consent to
take money from the other fellow to spend not as the poor sap thinks fit, but
as some bozo who swills at the Hawk and Dove sees fit, we are all thieves.

The point about music was to distinguish between what is PD and what is not
with regards to performance.

Why would you pay for scores for Bach when much of that is available online?

"All women are created equal.
Then some become Marines"

Katy Perry video for "Part of me"

Thomas Hart
tehart@xxxxxxx

On Apr 11, 2012, at 9:06 PM, Veronica Caley wrote:

I was not thinking about piracy.   I was thinking of someone lending their
Kindle or such to a relative.  Not copying, which is theft.  Re reading aloud,
I was not thinking of "performing."  My husband and I sometimes will read a
paragraph to each other.  Everyone is not a thief.

I lately heard that people steal like crazy at self check outs.   This never
occurred to me and I wouldn't do it.  But I have no sympathy for stores which
Aare trying to automate everyone out of a job.

Re music,, I play the piano and pay for the music books I use.  Even for Bach.

Veronica Caley

Milford,, MI